Friday, January 11, 2008

The Rounds Continue

OK, let's take a look-see at my own State of the Union ..

Both kids sick in October. Check.
Doctor visits and CVS runs. Check.

Both kids sick in November. Check.
Thanksgiving gathering threatened, but overcome. Check.
More doctor visits and CVS appearances. Check.

Both kids sick in December. Check.
Christmas festivities threatened, but overcome. Check.

Still more visits to the doctor and our new friends at CVS. Check.

Grace sick in January, just last weekend. Check.
Thankfully, no trips to the doctor or CVS required. Phew.

And now, in keep
ing with this lovely family tradition we have somehow entertained:
Aidan is sick. Again.

The story is a familiar one: he spent the morning at Aunt Michelle's house while I transformed myself into Wonder Woman (er, uh, no -- rather, a Cleaning Lady, but I might as well be Wonder Woman, the way my days are going, minus the blue star-studded briefs, corset, and cool gold wrist bands). They would play for a while, have lunch, and Michelle would take him to school. Shortly before lunch Michelle called me, informing me that Aidan couldn't eat his lunch because he didn't feel well. Shortly after the call, I got to her house, my chores done for the day, and there was my boy -- huddled on the couch, covered with an afghan, white as a bleached sheet, glassy-eyed, and quite warm. Oh, goody.

His fever raged through the night, not unlike his little sister's episode the week prior. At 5:00 a.m. we abruptly awoke to his cries, as he was in the process of puking in the bathroom. Thank goodness he wasn't doing that in his bed, like his November spell (at least, I think it was November -- oh, how the monthly episodes blend together). He had gotten up to get a drink of water and promptly threw the cupful up on my newly cleaned bathroom floor. Thankfully he went right back to sleep. I, on the other hand, did not.

So here we are on the next round. I've been short-changed in the sleep department and I already feel the suffering creeping its way into my tired bones. Yet another weekend is ruined, as I now have to call my friend to tell her that our planned trip to her CT home tomorrow will not be happening. I'm bummed.

Is this normal? Do kids this age get sick this frequently? I nursed Aidan for a year and a half when he was an infant, having been told it was the best thing for him and that "studies show" that breastfed babies are generally healthier, with stronger immune systems. Indeed, for the first several years of his life that proved to be true, suffering from about one cold in two years' time. But this? It's frustratingly unbelievable. It's hard for me to believe that my life has turned into some unwanted role of nursemaid. And yet ...

I am thankful that I have two beautiful children that I can nurse.
And, on a somewhat related front, my own doctor called me yesterday with the results of my blood tests. In an effort to figure out what "bug" I've been fighting for the past 3 months now, the blood tests were done to hopefully show what's going on. Well ... nothing's going on. The tests were absolutely perfect. That's good ... sort of.


And so I now start my day, with no choice but to jump in.
Just call me Florence.
Not as sexy as Wonder Woman, but hey -- it's appropriate (for oh, so many reasons ...).

2 comments:

Kathi said...

If what they've got is sniffles leading to a full-blown respiratory infection, OR stomach cramps leading to full-blown diarrhea, i'd suspect food allergies. These allergies are probably more rightly called sensitivities - there isn't always a typical allergy (hives itching swelling etc.) response. It might pass without notice because the symptoms themselves are mild - except it's compromising hte immune system and causing illness after illness.

Usually wheat/gluten and milk are the culprits with kids. And usually they'll outgrow it sooner or later.

Try eliminating all dairy (it's easier than gluten) for a couple weeks. If you're fastidious about it you should see results quickly. If you don't, try again with the gluten. Harder to eliminate. Breakfast needs to be eggs, or grits (oatmeal has gluten). Lunches can be gluten-free soups, wraps made with corn tortillas, or rice noodles (you can buy/make GF bread, too). Suppers, stick with home-made meat, potatoes or rice, and veg. Anything processed, with seasonings already added, or made by someone other than you might contain gluten. Since you're just trying this out, there's no need to get elaborate. IF the kids have an allergy to it, then you can take the time to sort it all. If that doesn't work try other common allergens like corn, rice, and eggs.

Chances are if one's allergic, the other will be too - and you might be, as well.

Another thing to check for is mold in your home. That can make you VERY sick.

Also did this start all of a sudden - ie. you weren't all sick over the spring and summer, but fall brought it all about? How about last fall? If this fall/winter is different, what is different about your environment? New carpet, new car, new pet, etc.

I had to rule out a whole bunch of things when my kids and I were having weird symptoms. Mold was one big culprit, undx'ed food allergies were another. Not trying to say it's what's going on with y'all, but it doesn't hurt to check it out.

Sue said...

Thanks for the input. Sure is a lot to think about, and I would truly hate to have to go down this road. I was struck by your last question -- how have things changed? Well, spring was fine, summer was fine, but once school came around -- wham! Fall/winter has been a problem. Has it been different than last year? Yes -- but so has everything else. We moved here last Feb. so everything is new -- new state (PA to NJ), new apartment, new school, new church, etc. But wouldn't these new changes hit right away, if allergy-induced, instead of waiting 3/4 of a year? Curious ...

But today we dealt with Aidan's fever spiking to nearly 106! Does a food allergy do something like THAT?!

Now I have some thinking -- and praying -- to do. Thanks for the advice!