Today the kids are off from school and some grown-ups are home from work.Today we remember the birthday of an incredible man.
I confess that I don't know nearly enough about him.
Today Aidan asked who Martin Luther King, Jr. was.
I'm looking forward to this conversation later.
I want my son to know.
It's a good birth to remember.
It's a good day.

4 comments:
My favorite piece of his is "Letter from a Birmingham Jail." This is my yearly ritual--reading "Martin's Big Words" to the kids, and then the letter for me. It reminds me of how fear holds us back...how sometimes my good "let's be patient" intentions and urges get in the way of other people's freedoms, and it is just so strikingly beautiful and elegant in its writing. Plus, it holds the religious establishment firmly accountable....and this is a part of our history we must remember. It certainly holds us connected to Biblical times. So enjoy! I'm off to a celebration here at the University.
Excellent recommendations -- thank you! I found the full text of the Letter online, so when I have a quiet moment (yeah, right!) I'll sit down with it. I was thrilled to learn of the kids' book, so I went to my library's website and while they do have it, it's already checked out. I just placed a reservation for it -- this will be a great introduction for Aidan. Thanks for the information!
I second Jenn's recommendation on "Martin's Big Words" - this is a fabulous way to introduce your kids not only to an American hero, but also to the idea of using words rather than violence to effect change. Hope you get it soon! Another civil rights era book that I love to read to my kids at home and school is "The Story of Ruby Bridges" - check it out...
Jacie, do you know the song "Ruby's Shoes" by Lori McKenna? It's based on the book, and it's just beautiful--it was one of the first songs I learned of this woman who is now my favorite singer-songwriter. Check it out on itunes--Enjoy!
Post a Comment