Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Bird Rescue

This afternoon I was playing outside with the kids when I noticed that a baby bird had fallen out of its nest in our yard. My parents have a colonial bird bottle attached to the underside of their addition, and every year birds make their nests in there. And every year my parents find a dead bird on the concrete below. Yesterday Don found a dead bird and promptly got rid of it, but today I saw a cute little one scrambling about. I don't think he was supposed to leave the nest. He can't fly yet -- he tries valiantly but just manages a little hop. I have a terrible, terrible soft spot when it comes to animals, and seeing this little baby in distress is breaking my heart. One of the very few things I remember about handling wildlife is never to touch them -- great. That about limits my choices of rescue to ... what? I'm not sure what to do about this. My dad suggested wearing a glove, scooping him up and putting him back in the nest. But will a gloved hand fool the mother? I hear him cheeping right now outside of my window. The mother knows he's there -- she flew down a few times, checked him out, and then flew off. I don't know what that meant in the bird world. He becomes absolutely frantic when she comes by. Is she going to abandon him? Can we help him into the nest? All I know is that I get way too attached to animals -- even little baby birds. I'm not sure what to do.

No comments: