Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Hooked on Paison-ics!

I received this in an email from a friend recently, and it completely cracked me up. I live in a big mafia area -- NY/NJ -- in reality as well as fiction. The accents around here are so unique -- I've been removed from it for long enough so it all sounds very new to me again (I believe I spoke this way once upon a time ... my friends so very often commented on certain words I just couldn't shake, such as "caw-fee," "aw-ll," "chaw-clet" etc.) Now it's all back with a vengeance. Don and I both are interested in mafia history, and there have been recent events in this immediate area, an evolving story splashed across the front page of the paper nearly every day involving gambling rings, two "families," an upcoming testimony, and a whacking outside of a diner. It's all very, very surreal.

Anyway, this clip is hilarious (and so true!) -- moving from "ebonics" to "paisonics," how to understand your Italian-American neighbors. I think I'll chow down on some "gabba-gool" and "mooz-a-rell" while I take another listen. Click on this link and enjoy!

(Note: OK, since I'm rather new at this blogging thing I can handle the typing and writing, but I'm still trying to figure out the cool technology options. The best I could do is insert this link, which brings you to some silly woman's web page ... I couldn't link you directly to the wav.file itself. Sorry!)

No comments: