Monday, May 14, 2007

The Motherhood of Mama Duck

I greeted Mother's Day yesterday somewhat bummed because I hadn't seen my husband in days and he would be missing from this day as well. But surprisingly, I really had a wonderful day. I was completely exhausted -- these kids wear me out! -- but I have to say that they were really, really great while their Daddy was gone. This morning we went to church, and it was a little strange for me because it reminded me so much of my active "pastor's wife" days, when I packed up the kids and handled them on my own at church. It felt a little strange -- even bittersweet -- to sit with Aidan, by myself, in the sanctuary until it was time for Kids' Church, when I was left alone for the second half. We zipped out of church a.s.a.p. (I was way too tired to hang around), had a quick lunch, got Grace down for her nap, climbed into bed with my boy, read a couple of classic Winnie the Pooh tales, and then had a great nap.

Later that afternoon I decided to take the kids to the park. Aidan absolutely loves ducks, and there's a nice pond loaded with the creatures, as well as a little waterfall, babbling brook, walking trail, etc. We had a lovely walk, following the brook for quite a way until it was time to head back. It was a beautiful day, with so much to see and so many great teaching opportunities ... how in one spot the brook was quite fast and rough over the rocks but then in a blink of an eye it was as smooth as glass; seeing a reflection in the water; how beautiful the colo
rs of a flowering tree looks against the dark green leaves; watching the geese take off amidst loud squawks, huge wings beating and the water splashing behind them. We really had a lovely time.

But Aidan's primary interest was in finding some ducks. And sure enough, we found "Mama Duck" and a bunch of adorable ducklings, and Aidan was ecstatic. But then we witnessed something so amazing, something I had n
ever seen before. The little duck family was walking along the top of the wall, when suddenly Mama Duck flew down to the pool below. The little ducklings went into a tizzy, peeping up a storm (my kids were going crazy!), until Daddy Duck waddled over to them to stand closer. From her spot below, Mama Duck began quacking up at them, causing more of a ruckus from the babies. Finally Mama Duck flew back up, "said" something to them, and then flew back down. Sure enough, one wild-and-crazy little duckling broke from the other and slowly began to head down the wall! He went about a foot until gravity took hold and he tumbled all the way down, landing with an audible "thump." I was so afraid for that little guy -- what a horrible plunge! And one by one, each little ball of fuzz tumbled down the wall, thudding on the bottom. I thought for sure I'd witness a death, and then would have to explain it to Aidan (and getting extremely upset myself), but thankfully I was spared that ordeal, and the ducks were fine -- they fluffed themselves and peeped along after their mother.

It was wild. Now that's courage. That's determination. That's motherhood!

No comments: