I am totally psyched -- the painter is coming tomorrow! I can't wait to see color on the walls in my apartment. But the preparations for this transformation are many and tiresome for me. Yesterday I had to fold 4 laundry baskets filled with laundry (my absolute worst household chore -- even worse than washing my dishes in my dishwasher-less kitchen) and then put all of that laundry away. Unfortunately, I only got to 2 of the 4 (figures). Then in the afternoon I started dismantling the rooms -- especially the kids' room. One of their bookcases has to be completely emptied so the bookcase can be unscrewed from the wall and moved into the living room. Only one or two pieces of furniture can stay in each bedroom, since the rooms are quite small and the guy needs to be able to maneuver. Since the bathroom is currently wallpapered, I have to empty out the large medicine cabinet so Don can take it off the wall.
Today will be an even crazier day. When Don gets home from work, he has to do a lot of the "manly" things that I can't handle. Believe it or not, I still can't figure out how to work the drill properly, so he has to take down the two shelves in the kids' room, and together we'll move out dressers and other larger items. First thing Thursday morning will involve dismantling the beds and moving them out too. We'll be staying upstairs with my parents for those next few days -- the painters can go to town without any of us underfoot.
For these next few days I need my kids to be angels. I know, I know -- I'm just setting myself up again. And of course, we didn't start off on the best foot yesterday. They're overtired -- I'm overtired -- and they were especially clingy. I put them outside as soon as I could, but instead of playing in the focused manner I had hoped for, they are making constant trips back into the house -- "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy, Mommy!" Yesterday afternoon Grace refused to let me out of her sights. I laid the large blanket outside on the grass with their favorite toys (the Robin Hood tree house and the castle, complete with Merry Men and Knights). Aidan had a ball, but Grace would not let me go. She wrapped her little arms around my neck (who could resist that? She knows the tricks!), she pushed me down so she could lay full-length on me, she rested her sweet little head in my lap. Cute but, oh the work to be done!
Today we hit the grocery store first. I wish I woke up with more energy but I have not -- I've been waking up tired every morning for quite a while. I just hope my tired state, their neediness, and my lack of patience doesn't detract from my anticipation of this upcoming transformation. I also hope Aidan doesn't freak out, seeing his things dismantled ... again. That's been his trigger, for him recalling the pain of uncertainty and insecurity, resulting in his questions, "Why are we moving again, Mommy?" He knows the painter is coming -- I'm curious to see how he interprets all of this.
Yes, I am excited -- very, very excited. I just have to get through "life" first.
Wednesday, May 23, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment