I am (gasp!) 35 years old, and I have lived in many places in my lifetime. In each place I have made friends -- some I've kept, some were just for that "season" and we've dropped out of touch, which is all part of life. Each friend in my life is different, and each friendship is very unique -- my college roommate means something very different to me, and holds an incredibly unique place in my life, than my childhood friend Missy, for example. I treasure these distinctive friendships and how they have shaped my life. I'm sure everyone has that particular friend -- or maybe a few friends -- who have been with them from the very beginning. Today is the birthday of one such friend of mine, someone whom I have known since the very early age of three -- my friend Luanne.
It's kind of strange to think I that I have had a friend for 32 years. Luanne, who is a year older than I, grew up in this neighborhood to which I've returned, and in fact she lived on my block, just on the opposite side. Her parents still live there, and I can see their back yard from my back yard. Neither of us can remember our first meeting, but we assume it came about with the aid of our older brothers who were all of the same age and played together in the neighborhood. I have so many memories of our friendship in those early days: waiting for her on the corner each day for her return from kindergarten, riding our bikes on 13th Street, playing in the "Hay Fields" with my younger brother and other neighborhood kids, romping in each other's yards. As we grew older, we started playing sports together (she taught me how to play tennis, and our walks up to the Hay Fields to hit the courts range somewhere in the thousands), having sleep-overs (usually at her house since she had more room, and more freedom), we walked everywhere and talked about everything. Sure, we had our spats and squabbles but they never lasted long.
Luanne graduated from high school a year before I did, and she headed off to a small, Christian college in Northwest Iowa, following in the footsteps of some of her older siblings as well as my older brother David. So naturally, when my time came to choose a college, I chose the same. Yet while Luanne thrived in Iowa, I did not. I finished out the year (even though by Christmas I had already scoped out another school), but did not return. That marked the parting of our ways, to some degree -- now Luanne was in Iowa, and I was in Pennsylvania, and we saw each other on our Christmas breaks and summer vacations. But it was still working, despite the miles -- and new experiences -- between us.
After college, we stayed parted. Luanne settled in Iowa while I stayed in Pennsylvania; she became a high school English teacher while I worked as an office manager at a graphic design company. Our friendship stayed strong, however, with phone calls and letters. We were getting older, we were in very different places in our lives -- but despite all the differences, nothing could change that friendship, that very foundation we had for years. I was the first to get married, and there was absolutely no hesitation when I asked my oldest friend to be my maid of honor. We had talked and dreamed of that moment for many years, and it was such a blessing to have her by my side. Five months later, Luanne got married and the roles were reversed; I took my new husband to Iowa (who fell in love with the state) and I became her maid (or rather, "matron" - ick) of honor. It was a beautiful day.
So here we are, over three decades later -- and while we only see each other once a year at Christmas, preserving our old tradition of meeting for breakfast at a local diner, our friendship still remains strong. We continue to laugh together, we talk about our children, we've upheld each other in difficult situations, we've mourned together ... and all of this long-distance. Do I wish we lived closer? Of course I do -- I will always wish for that. But I am more than happy that this friendship is so strongly rooted, so deep, that nothing will cause it to diminish. This old friend of mine is one of the greatest gifts of my life.
So Happy Birthday, Lu -- I love you, I cherish our friendship, and I hope you have a fabulous year! I miss you!
xoxo
Thursday, May 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment