I definitely have Grandma-on-the-Brain. I'm inspired to head over to the cemetery today or tomorrow to plant flowers on their graves. However, I still haven't gone there. The first and only time I visited my grandfather's grave was when we buried my grandmother (couldn't avoid that visit), but I haven't been able to go back since. I'm feeling pulled to go, and I'll go with the beauty and new life of flowers -- for their graves, for the graves of my dad's parents, and also for the graves of my grandma's two spinster sisters and their parents.
My mom reminded me of something my grandmother had said about 10 years ago and I had completely forgotten. I think I laughed just as hard this time around as I did back then. It was Memorial Day and we were at my parents' house (here) for the annual picnic. My grandparents were present, as were my youngest brother and his wife Michelle. Little did we know that Michelle was pregnant, and they chose that day to tell us all. Their revelation was very creative: they handed the ultrasound picture to my grandmother without saying anything. She looked at it, then frowned: "What is this?" she asked. My brother didn't answer right away -- just smiled -- and then she said with 100% certainty: "Oh, I know what this is -- it's the face of JESUS!" We absolutely roared. She was referring to that picture that you see every once in a while, that optical illusion of black-on-white, where you stare at it for a length of time, and when you close your eyes you can see "the face of Jesus." That was priceless.
The next hilarious memory occurred upon the death of Princess Diana. We were all glued to the TV, and at one point my grandmother called my mother, flustered and perplexed.
"I can't believe it -- I just can't believe it," she said over and over.
"What's wrong?" asked my mom.
"I just can't believe he did that!" she replied.
"Who? Did what? What are you talking about?" asked my mom.
"I just cannot believe that Pavarotti killed Princess Diana!" my grandmother said.
It took us a little while to figure out that she misunderstood the press -- they implied that the "paparazzi" was responsible for her death, but my grandmother -- having no clue what that word meant -- interpreted it as "Pavarotti" doing the deed. She seriously thought he flew by on a motorcycle, coattails flying ... possibly singing some aria as he sped on his way ...
Tuesday, May 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment