Friday, May 18, 2007

Laugh Lines for the Week 3

- Aidan's interpretation of how he came into the world: "A long, long time ago I lived in a very far away place." (In Hilltown? I asked, By the little church?) "No, no, no -- very very far away, in a little village. Then God wanted me to go into your tummy, so I lived in your tummy for a little while." (Did you like living in there? I asked). "No. I did not. Then God pushed you with his thumbs, and I came out of your mouth. I was a teeny tiny baby. And Mommy, I was sooooo cute!" Reincarnation? God has thumbs? What a fabulous way to start my day!

- At our church's newcomers' class Monday night, Pastor Andy was talking about the beginnings of the Orthodox church. He looked at Don and said, "What was it, around the 800's? 900's?" And Don replied in a very spaced-out sort of way, "Yeeaaahh, the ten-hundreds ..." The woman next to me, who is from Peru and not very fluent in English, sure understood that and how funny it sounded, and she burst out laughing -- so did I. The two of us were cracking up and unable to stop. Something about "the ten-hundreds" just sounded so very funny ...

- My parents watched Grace yesterday while I brought Aidan to school, and when I returned I went upstairs to get my girl and bring her back downstairs. We talked a bit, and my mom asked if I thought her hair was getting too long. My dad suggested she get a path cut right down the middle. "Oh, like a reverse Mohican!" she said. I started cracking up -- a Mohican? Try Mohawk! :)

- My mom's Mohican reference reminded me of this hilarious news clip we saw in Virginia. There was a huge storm that hit the area and a great deal of power outages and other damage. One reported went to the apartment of a very old woman who lived alone. She was sitting in her La-Z-Boy with an obnoxiously-colored crocheted afghan up to her chin. The reporter asked her how she was faring, with no electricity or heat. The old woman responded in her high-pitched old woman voice, "Oh, I'm doing all right. I stay warm with this here African." I think I laughed for a week.

No comments: