Monday, May 21, 2007

Welcome to the Garden State

It's official: we are now true residents of the state of New Jersey. Again. We were both born here, Don left at the age of 4, I left (officially) at the age of 24, and now the prodigals have returned. With two little newcomers and a dog in tow. Don paid a visit to the DMV this morning, and this afternoon he installed our new NJ plates. This afternoon we took the kids to the park and another mom was there with her little girl. She asked me, "Are you from the neighborhood?" I paused before I answered: "Yes, actually."

It's funny -- it felt a little weird to say that. Not bad-weird necessarily, just ... I don't know. A bit unexpected. I was surprised at my emotional reaction. That "yes" solidified the fact that my journey took me somewhere I wasn't intending, or expecting, to go -- back home to NJ. It was a simple answer, but a loaded one for me. It's good, though, being back here in NJ. I miss my friends terribly -- I always will. But it's very, very good. When we got back into the car to come home, Don said to me, "This is the best move we've ever made."

No comments: