Monday, May 7, 2007

Tracking Don's Obsessions

That's a funny title, I know ... but I took a pause recently to think back on my wonderful husband's quirks, as he is now embarking on a new "phase" of interest. Those of you who have known Don for a while now might be familiar with this funny side of him, this movement through different phases of intense interest. One might even say these phases border on obsession. His explanation, which I bought (but now I'm starting to wonder ...), was that these "phases" served as outlets for him. OK, fine -- we all need outlets. Before I knew him, Don was a major Beatles fan. No, that's not quite right -- he was, yes, obsessed. He collected all things Beatles -- albums, memorabilia, more albums, books, more albums. You get the idea. I can't complain, though -- he was indeed a true collector, and many of those items became extremely valuable over the years. I'll never forget one particular weekend: we were having difficulties in our second church and due to salary issues not matching our needs/life occurrences, we were riddled with debt. Don heroically, courageously decided to begin the process of liquidating his collection so we could pay off our bills. In one weekend, he sold three CD's ... and earned $1,000.

When Don and I first started dating, his phase at the time was this obsession with woodworking. Yet not just woodworking ... it was woodworking with vintage hand tools. He did make some fabulous items for us (a huge cupboard, our wedding kneeler, etc.) but I think it all took about 5 times longer, with more back-breaking labor, than with power tools. That phase lasted until seminary, when he lacked the time, space, and energy to keep up with it. Other phases/obsessions followed (not in any order): The Beach Boys (I liked that one), eBay buying (not good) and selling (fine with me), Frank Sinatra, the internet (I know, it sounds weird), mountain biking (that is a phase long over, due to too many years of sitting behind a desk), fountain pens, Gregorian chant (which then morphed into English church music), vintage watches, wooden boxes (a cry for help now? Desperation?!) .... And then -- I'm not even sure how to explain this -- he got into the whole realm of audiophiles. And of course, it had to be vintage. It started when he was 16, but he really became fixated when he made a pastoral call (no kidding) to a new parishioner's home, where he was fortunate enough to hear a vintage Dynaco tube amplifie
r system ... or something like that. He was hooked in a big, big way. He raided yard sales and sidewalk trash, looking for old tube amplifiers to rebuild. He restored them, he built his own from scratch, he sold what he had for profit and made and/or restored more, he braided his own wires and cables to get better sound. He even considered starting his own online business to fund this obsession, but I put a stop to that. I mean, I can't in good conscience enable a junkie, now can I?! It was just unbelievable ... and unstoppable. Finally, I couldn't take it any more -- we had so much equipment, it was getting ridiculous! Right now, in our little IKEA entertainment cabinet, we have the following:

- one DVD player for the kids's movies and our regular movie viewing

- one DVD player for music (especially super audio CDs)
- one VCR
- one vintage tube amp that he rebuilt
- one "power conditioner" which, as I am told, cleans out all the crud that comes in from the AC /Power lines (yes, he built that himself ... of course)
- one solid state amp ... Now this is funny: I just asked Don, "What's that amp called on the top shelf?" and he replied, "It's the Harman-Kardon Model 630 Receiver, circa 1974." I then said, "Um, no ... I mean, it's not a tube amp, it's a __" and he replied, "Oh, solid state." (MAN! It's like living in that insurance commercial where "please pass the butter dish" turns into a detailed description of its make and year.)
- one vintage turntable (yes, folks, a good old-fashioned record player)
- a headphone tube amp that he built

Oh, and lest I forget, under one of our end tables in the living room, there lives a CD player that he modified for some reason, and two more headphone amps that he built. And don't get me started on what we have in storage.

Why, oh why?! you might ask. Well, I simply have no answer. I do enjoy good music, I have to say. And I will give props where they are due -- I am completely in awe that he learned how to do this on his own, making sense out of a rat's nest of wires, soldering teeny bits of whatever to other little bitty things, and out comes amazing sound. My kids certainly have no clue that they're probably the only children on the planet listening to Veggie Tales on this kind of equipment. But now writing all of this just makes me laugh hysterically -- it re
ally is funny! So now we are ready to move on to the next phase, the next fixation: VINYL. I am so not kidding. His anniversary gifts to himself? All lovely vintage records: Linda Rondstadt (hmmmm...), Frank Sinatra, a couple of Led Zeppelin's, a couple of U2's, Van Halen, Huey Lewis and the News, Michael Jackson's "Thriller" ... oh, baby. I am really in for it now. I will welcome any and all suggestions as to a new phase to which I could steer him. And anyone involved in deliverance ministries -- I'll give you a call!

I wonder what he thinks about my quirks?!


This set-up cracks me up: headphones connected the appropriate headphone amp, strung across the living room. Too bad the headphones aren't sound proof -- at this writing, I can hear the faint wail of Michael Jackson singing "Thriller," while he reads an article about our new church's rebirth process. Sometimes you think you know your spouse and then other times ... :)

3 comments:

Amy said...

Don't forget the obsession with Christian heavy metal!

C has obsessions of this ilk. Right now it's watercolor and Bob Ross. I've given up on trying to understand, but I know that if I don't give him some time for his obsessions, he get's very grumpy.

wade said...

Count your blessings, he could be a motorhead wrenching on his hotrod, or a golfer trying to perfect the unattainable, or worse, a musician playin to wee hours for little pay. And it was my Dynaco 70 that doomed him to audiophile existance, sorry.

Benjamin said...

Glad to know you can still be amused and entertained and even surprised by your husband after all these years. I aspire to be as interesting as Don.