Well, we managed our night out last night and had a wonderful time. While I was a little overwhelmed by the large numbers present in the banquet hall (always an energy-drainer), I adapted in my usual way. We had a fun, lively table and it was nice to be a "real grown-up" for a change.
My oldest brother, Steve, watched the kids for us. I was happy he could do it, but I admit I was a little bit hesitant, wondering what impish behavior might surface. OK -- not really. I knew he'd be great -- really great -- with my kids. But it certainly brought back a flood of childhood memories, when he used to babysit Jim and me -- being 8 years older, my parents felt that they could trust him with our care. Little did they know of the mischievous antics he pulled on his unsuspecting young siblings. I can still feel, with sharp clarity, the searing burn in my sinus cavity when he made me sniff black pepper; I can still feel the humiliation of having my face covered with Reddi-Whip cream in a can. Don't let that little can fool you -- the trajectory of whipped cream flying across the kitchen table will amaze you, especially when it lands in your face.
I'm older now, and bigger -- there's no way he would pull those stunts with my kids without some ramification. Besides, if my own adulthood didn't phase him, all he would have to do is look at my husband -- a man who could give anyone pause. Seriously, though, Steve was great and the kids absolutely adore him. I heard all the (non-violent, non-teasing) tales this morning at the breakfast table, how much fun they had, how many books they read, what a great babysitter Uncle Steve is. I'm one happy girl.
But this morning brought not only cute chatter but also another round of fever. Grace woke up warm again, although in much better spirits than yesterday. She's chatty, cheerful, not nearly as lethargic as yesterday. But a fever is a fever, so we'll just have to ride it out. Aidan, though, was another story. He's been battling a cough-congestion cold for several days now, and he's been a trooper through it all. This morning, though, I think he was on the verge of having enough. He asked if he could stay home -- he just couldn't do it, he said. He did feel a little warmer than usual but not bad. We talked about it a little bit -- I reminded him that it was one of his favorite days of all (100 Day!) plus they would be getting all of their special Valentines that they'd been collecting in their mailboxes, something he'd been excited about all week. Did he want to miss that? Yes, he did. That's saying something.
I had to take my dog out, as he was dancing around the living room, clearly needing to find a nice grassy spot outside, so I tended to Jack's needs before I took on my nursing tasks of dispensing Tylenol. When I came in, Aidan had apparently used those few minutes to really think about his game plan for the day (oh, that boy is so much like me!).
"Mommy," he said matter-of-factly, "Today is an important day for me. I think I can go to school. But if I start to feel bad later, I'll just tell my teacher to call you so you can pick me up."
Well, all right! Great compromise, good plan -- impressive processing of the situation at hand. After warm French Toast sticks, orange juice, and strawberry Tylenol, my boy perked right up and headed off to school with a smile.
Two kids down, one more to go. At 6:00 a.m. Don woke me up. He's not feeling well either, waking with that "I'm coming down with something" sensation. He has to go to work, though (while he can!), so he knew he had to suck it up. Off he trudged, also feeling a bit warmer than usual, with extra Tylenol on hand. He just called a few minutes ago, saying that he might come home this afternoon if things slow down, just to take a break. He worked late a few nights this week, he has band practice tonight, plus a full day of work tomorrow hanging a few TV's at a former colleague's house. He needs a break in there somewhere.
Well, needless to say our Valentine's Day is ... well, who knows how it will turn out. Don called his parents this morning and told them not to come. Turns out his dad has been sick anyway (glad we found out now before it was too late!), so it all worked out for the best. There's just no way we're up for house guests this weekend. I'm not sure what our plans are -- I'm still planning on making the Sweet Corn Chowder with toasted tortilla chips, which sounds really tasty right about now. Settling down with warm, cozy, comforting soup and Season Two of "Big Love" ... a series about polygamy on Valentine's Day? That's kind of funny.
Off I go now to bathe my daughter and begin our home therapy. Happy Friday to you all, and may you have a wonderful weekend, full of love and many blessings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
We watch Big Love and each week vow to stop--it's just too much...but that's television for you...keeps sucking you back in! Our Valentine's Day was spent thus far playing "baskmentball"--basketball in the basement. The best exercise I've gotten in years. Such, such fun! Now we're heading for the library!
Love to all of you!
hee hee -- yes, the show can be exhausting! I read an article recently that said that while some of it's pretty far off (the abject poverty of Juniper Creek, the concept of some hierarchy within the sister-wives, etc.) much of it is on the money.
I do find myself feeling tense as I watch the show -- it's certainly not "relaxing" by any means. Especially during Nicki's credit card debt (we just finished Season 1 so we're a bit behind) -- my goodness, I had to make myself breathe! And just watching Bill skip from one house to another, juggling schedules, etc. -- yes ... tiring ...
So what part of it is "too much" for you? Just curious. I do love the actors and think it's quite well done, in typical HBO fashion.
Fun times in the basement -- love it! :) Happy day to you, dear friends!
Post a Comment