Friday, February 20, 2009

A New Day ... A New Thermometer Reading

Ugh -- why is it that Moms often get hit the worst, and take so much longer to recover?

I am indeed the Last of the Mohicans here, defending my personal Alamo of germs with John-Wayne determination and bravado. Go figure. I just can't shake it. Aidan's mending well with each passing day, slowly but surely. He's still ghostly pale and coughs quite a bit, big brown eyes rimmed with dark circles, but his spark is back and that's a heart-warmer. Don's fine -- he takes a dive but usually bounces back quickly. Grace is still really, really congested but seems much perkier this morning (I hope that lasts!).

... and Mommy still feels like crap.

I will acknowledge that there's improvement -- but boy, it's at the proverbial snail's pace! Tiny increments of wellness -- slightly lower temperature ... baby steps toward healing -- a bit more alert than the shuffling through the swirling fog of yesterday. But I can't express how tired I feel -- it's almost inhuman. My limbs feel like jello, my head a heavy boulder. I stand up, shuffle to a destination, do an easy ask, and suddenly need to take a 3-hour nap. Ohhhh, how that would feel so good ... but it doesn't happen. I'm lucky if I get to lay on the couch, cover up with a blanket -- but sleep won't come. Not when Grace is around. Oh, she's as cute as a button, wanting to have a tea party with me, even though my eyes are closed and all I can manage is a hoarse grunt. That doesn't deter my social butterfly, not for second. If there's a warm body, there's a party! She tries to hold the tiny tea cup up to my lips; she cuts up my food on the little plate with her miniature cutlery; she feeds me my "delicious soup" out of a tiny bowl. Poor thing -- this is all she has for a playmate, yet she makes it work. But it's impossible to sleep during a tea party.

I do think I'm finally on the up-swing -- I have taken the turn -- but this is one s-s-s-l-l-l-o-o-o-w-w-w ride.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glad to hear you're making a little progress :) Hope you're back to yourself soon.