It all started with an innocent cough. Then a slight sniffle.
And now, 11 long, exhausting days later, we're officially over the flu.
Oh, sure, the lingering effects are still present -- Aidan and Grace are still coughing, their little voices are twangy with congestion, my sinuses are completely on the fritz with accompanying searing headaches and related dizziness ... but I'm happy to say that the worst is finally over.
Yesterday was the first good day I've had -- when I woke up with no real fever to speak of (although it did rise to 100 later in the afternoon), I had a bit more energy, I was clear-headed, I was even able to laugh. It felt good to be on the path to normalcy, finally!
And, of course, along with that immediately came a tidal wave of "life" that needed to be taken care of, that was just waiting for Mommy to rise from the ashes. Despite the cold weather, I opened up the bedroom windows to exorcise the rooms of those evil germs. I stripped all three beds of their wrappings, even the mattress pads, and did four loads of laundry. Did I push it? I'm sure I did, but it sure felt good to turn that page and breathe new -- and fresh -- life into this former hospital ward!
This morning the kids and I are literally observing a Day of Rest, a complete and total Sabbath as we stay home from church. I do feel the effects of yesterday's laundry frenzy and am very tired, that weak-tired in my limbs, to my very core. My sinuses are wreaking havoc in my head -- my ears are bottled up and I can't hear very well; I'm hoping the Tylenol Sinus & Pain pills will kick in soon for some relief. But I do feel better overall. I don't want the kids to be out yet, for who knows what other sniffly noses they'll encounter, and we certainly don't want any more relapses. One more day of rest should do the trick ...
Don's on his way to Pennsylvania right now, covering for a priest-friend of his today. He's been doing this for the past three months or so, once a month, and the extra income has been a blessing. It's hard for Don -- just getting over the flu himself, working hard all week, sometimes into the evening, then having to prepare a sermon, make the long trip to and from PA in one day ... it's grueling but he's not a complainer. We're just glad for this opportunity. He'll be home by mid-afternoon and will most likely crash for the rest of the day.
So after 11 long days, a page is finally being turned. It will take a while to feel "normal" again but I am so thankful that the worst is finally over. I'm not sure what the kids and I will do this morning -- I do hope they play nicely. Yesterday was not a good day for them, both children getting on each other's nerves, squabbling, scrapping, just generally unhappy with everything. My mom has always sworn by that as a good sign -- if they're cranky, that means they're getting better. Wives'-tale? Maybe -- but it sure seems to be true. At one point yesterday I was changing Grace and she was screaming, wailing at the top of her lungs -- over nothing in particular. Finally she clenched her little fists and bawled, "Oh, I am just SO CRANKY!" Yes, indeed, my dear! I hope today proves to be a better one.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment