Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A "Classic" Doesn't Mean It's Good

Last night, after a rousing time of Mommy Monster, the kids -- sweaty, semi-nude, and way too worked up -- needed some calming down before bedtime. "Let's read a story," I suggested.

"NO!" came the chorus of three.
"Let's watch Ann Halen JUMP!" shouted Grace.

(What is it with my kids and this famous band? Aidan called it "Aunt Helen," now Grace clings to "Ann Halen" ...)

OK -- clearly I was outvoted. While Daddy loaded up Apple TV, Aidan proceeded to tell me how cool the video is, how totally awesome, how it's his favorite ... "even though they do look like girls," he said with a smirk of disdain. Ah, he has much to learn about '80s hair!

I settled down on the love-seat, taking a breather myself from my coveted role as Mommy Monster. I was kind of looking forward to this swing down Nostalgia Lane -- I haven't seen this video since ... since ... well, probably since 1984.

Boy ... was it BAD! I mean, REALLY bad!! Cheesy, horrible acting, pathetic lip-synching ... It was actually pretty painful to watch. "But remember," said Don, "this was really cool back in the '80s." Yeah, well, whatever ... it's just BAD now!

It is really, really tame, though -- compared to what's on the tube nowadays. It was downright harmless, save for the fact that they just looked incredibly silly. The kids loved David Lee Roth's kicks -- quite impressive, I must admit. Grace was bouncing along to the music, Aidan was groovin' ...

Oh, but man ... it was BAD! I couldn't take it anymore. Finally I just had to say it: "This is REALLY cheesy, guys!"

That's when Aidan turned to me with shock smeared across his face, as if I committed some heresy or sacrilege by my spurning of this legend.

"MOMMY!" he declared. "No it's not! Don't you know? This is a classic! That means it's GOOD! So you have to like it! YEAH!"

Cheesy, yes.
Bad, by all means.
Classic, by certain standards.

Entertaining?
ABSOLUTELY.

1 comment:

Jo-Ann said...

Sue, I am looking for Dr Dobbs email address. Jamie left it for me on the clubfoot group but I have to send my email from the site directly (the address is hidden) and I want to attach some photos.

Would you be able to send me his email address (if you have it) to my home email (through the clubfoot group?)

And btw, I remember when Jump came out.... Yup, classic! lol