Sunday, February 22, 2009

Laugh Lines of a Flowering Sort (Or: I feel sorry for Aidan's girlfriend)

Don came back from PA about a half-hour ago, exhausted but feeling good after a morning of leading two worship services in his friend's absence. His arms were laden with his garment bag (housing his rarely-worn-now robe and stole), his Bible, Prayer Book, Wawa donuts for the kids, the check for me ... and a stunning floral arrangement of deep red roses, tiny purple accents, tall greens. Really pretty ... altar flowers. :) Hey, I'll take them.

I am not a fan of roses, period. I never was. I would much prefer a bouquet of wildflowers, or even tulips, than roses. They're expensive and they die quickly. I've mentioned this to Don many times, and while I don't often get flowers, it seems that lately when I do they're ... roses. Oh well. This past Valentine's Day, I got a bouquet of ... roses. Granted, they were a gorgeous hue of salmony-orange, but they were roses -- and they died quickly.

Now, the roses today I don't mind. While the thought of them being altar flowers makes me laugh, they're free. "Free" trumps it every time.

This afternoon, after I placed the arrangement in our living room, I told Don not to buy roses for me anymore. Anything else but roses ... and I explained why. "Oh, OK," he said agreeably.

But then Aidan chimed in ...

"Yeah," he said. "I'd get you petunias. Or dandelions."

Petunias? Dandelions?
I love this boy.
His future girlfriend, however, might prefer those roses.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

The plus with roses, though, is that you can cut off the flower and float them in water for at least an extra week. We always stretch them in this way....and I think they might be even more beautiful this way. No complaints on flowers allowed, regardless the type! :)