Monday, February 16, 2009

Nothing Mixed About THIS Blessing!

She did it! She really did it! Grace peed on the potty all by herself! WOO-HOO!!!

I had a tough morning on my hands, trying to bathe my nasty, dirty kids. Grace was fine, but Aidan has been sick for quick some time, and no one likes taking a bath when they're sick. But we couldn't wait -- he was just gross. I got him into the bathroom, but he cried and screamed and freaked out -- it was a horrible scene. Part of me (the shameful part) felt so annoyed -- Just do it! Just get in there and let me wash you so we can get it over with! Sheesh!!!! -- and part of me just wanted to cry right along with him, feeling that stinging pain of water on a fever-wracked body, muscles cramping with uncontrollable shivers ... I ached for him, I truly did.

A short while later, both kids are sparkling clean, sweet-smelling, and feeling somewhat better. Aidan is in bad shape, though -- one more day of this and I will be forced to call the doctor. He's huddled under a warm blanket on his favorite chair, wanting to sleep, trying to sleep, but whimpering that his eyes hurt. Oh, my boy ...

And then a short while later, the miracle occurred. Grace was walking funny around the living room, seeming rather unsure of herself. She held her legs together, and had a funny look on her face. Finally, hesitantly, she said, "Mommy, I have to ... I have to ... um ... I have to poop ... no, wait ... I have to ..." She didn't know how to say it but I didn't care. I picked her up and flew into the bathroom, ripped off her diaper and said, "Do you have to pee?" as I plopped her on her purple potty seat. She nodded yes, waited a second, and then she peed a ton! It was SO cool -- I acted like a complete and utter fool in my hysterical joy, but who cares! Thankfully Don's aunt had bought a bunch of toys at a thrift store for the kids, so in that moment I had some leverage, a bit of bribery for (hopefully) future, repeated events such as this. There was a Disney Princess tea set left, hidden under my dresser, saving for a good day ... and today's the day. She's THRILLED with it, playing so happily -- I hear her delightful chatter, "Oh, this is just marvelous, my friends!" -- and best of all, she clearly understands WHY she got it.

Oh, day of all joyful days! Seriously, I was starting to get the teensiest bit concerned that she had some actual physical barrier to figuring out how to do this. My friend Luanne even suggested I try calling the doctor, and I had that on my list of things to do this week. But now ... she can! I'm sure we'll have some set-backs, but this was a major step for my little girl.

Oh ... YAY!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah!!! Go Gracie!!! You did it!

Jo-Ann said...

Oh Yay!!! is right! Matthew was so easy to train, but my second, oh dear. lol

I celebrate all potty training steps!