Thursday, February 26, 2009

Lessons Learned (and it's only 10:15 a.m.!)

It's amazing how things can turn around so quickly ...

1. Lesson Learned: A small apartment really does clean up quickly. What was seemingly a mountainous task is practically finished. (Sort of.)

When I first looked around, the clutter seemed insurmountable. I truly did feel that I had a nearly full day of picking up ahead of me. But I took a deep breath, jumped in ... and it's almost done. Well, at least two of the main areas of mess -- the living room and the kids' bedroom. Cool.

2. Lesson Learned: It's pretty fruitless to designate a time to straighten up and put toys away when Grace is awake.

I focused first on the living room and put every single vomited toy back in its appropriate place. While I was doing that, Grace was working diligently in the kitchen with paper and stickers. When I next moved into the kids' bedroom, Grace left the kitchen (and also left behind all the papers and stickers still on the table) and took some of her bedroom toys out and transferred them into the newly-cleaned living room. So now my living room floor is covered with tiny magnetic alphabet letters on one end, and a grocery store's worth of plastic food on the other end.

3. Lesson Learned: Despite my best efforts at growing my fingernails, if a nail is jagged or snagged, it will be bitten off.

You might not think that has anything to do with the above two Lessons Learned, but it does.

Do I now pick up the plastic food or not?
I vote for not.
This is quite a revolving door.

1 comment:

Jo-Ann said...

I swear cleaning up is one step forward two steps back. I call my boys my unhelpers. :)

Thanks for the comments on my blog. Had to say that before Matthew's surgery (as well as after) he had what we called the Terry Fox hop where he would step on the clubfoot then hop twice on his regular foot before putting the other down again. We still see it when he is tired or sore. I am beginning to wonder if that will always be the case...