We've declared today -- this Valentine's Day -- "Pajama Day." That's probably not a big deal to many of you out there, but we don't often hang around in our jammies. But there's a reason -- when you're sick, who feels like getting dressed?
Yep -- the bugs are spreading. In the middle of the night, Don was trying to rouse me to consciousness. "Sue!" he whispered loudly. "Aidan's crying!" I didn't respond, hoping that he'd get the hint that he should deal with this. I've been wrangling sick and near-sick kids all week -- time to share the love, even in the early a.m. Besides, it took me hours to get to sleep and I was feeling gypped. Don had gone to bed around 9:00 p.m., completely worn out, and even though I was body-weary, I wasn't ready for full unconsciousness yet. I stayed up another hour to veg in front of the TV, covered in a blanket, Jack's soft head resting warmly on my leg. At 10:00 p.m. I went to bed, read my devotional (another really, really good and appropriate one), then read a portion of my latest Book Club tome, God's Gonna Make You Laugh. At 10:30 p.m. or so I turned off the light, shoved in the ear plugs to shut out all interruption, wrapped myself up in the covers ...
... and then heard the snoring.
It was awful. I think it even went outside of the realm of regular snoring. Persistent, loud -- even through the ear plugs. I nudged Don; he shifted. Silence for a few seconds, and then ... oh! I nudged him again, a little harder this time; he shifted again. Repeat scenario. Oh! I gave his shoulder a shove and hissed, "Don! You're snoring!" Mumble, mumble, mumble ... On and on and on and on ...
I looked at the clock after an eternity of this.
It was nearly 1:00 a.m.
Yeah -- so not feelin' the love ...
So when Don declared that Aidan was crying, I admit I did feel a bit of "you owe me!" as I ignored the situation at hand. He did get up. I heard the click-click-click of the childproof cap of some medicine or another being opened -- cough syrup, perhaps? He's been coughing incessantly and most likely needed more. But to cry about it? That was odd.
"He was burning up," said Don as he crawled back into bed. Ooohhhhh ... poor kid. The fever finally came knocking on his door. That'll bring on the tears.
I'm tired this morning, a dry, gritty feeling behind my eyelids. Aidan's fever is still hanging around, but he perks up during his Tylenol high. Grace is on the mend, maybe one degree or so, but boy, is she ever cranky! Her attitude this morning is unbelievable. Aidan asked if he could remain his PJ's this morning, and of course I said yes. I changed Grace and put her too in her new soft, fleecy jammies so she'd be comfortable (despite her tearful demands for "a long, beautiful dress!"). After my shower, I eyed the kids, all cozy in their pajamas, so I joined in on the fun, grabbed my polka-dot microfleece pants and red hooded top -- perfect for an under-the-weather day like today.
Daddy's gone this morning, hanging TVs for a former colleague, and we're not sure when he'll be back. The kids and I managed to spend the morning making a giant Valentine's banner for him (since I had no time whatsoever this week to get out and buy a card), and a cute homemade card for Grandma and Grandpa. That exercise spent all of the energy they could muster, so now they're sacked out on the couch, watching TV.
Ah, yes ... it's been some week, and quite a day so far. Uneventful and exhausting all at the same time. But they'll soon mend. We'll have lunch soon and then the best part of the day:
Naptime!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Oh, did I laugh when I read that you had a "pajama day", because I was reading your post around 6:00 in the evening, IN MY PAJAMAS. Annika and I did the same thing yesterday. PJs all day, pull-out bed opened up in the office to lay on and watch mindless TV, and the rest of the house is a complete mess, but no one else is here to complain about it. I will pay dearly for this tomorrow, but for now, it doesn't matter. :)
Post a Comment