Thursday, February 19, 2009

Two Down, Two to Go

We're knocking 'em off now, two by two, Noah-style ...

Don's feeling much, much better. No fever, no aches, so he's heading off to work today for the first time this week. To his credit, he only registered one sick day out of the three -- the other two were spent working from home. That's kind of nice.

Aidan is doing well too. Finally, he's fever-free although he's still weak and has a wracking cough. He seems to respond well to the adult-version of Robitussin, so with that coursing through his system it will get him through at least half the day. He's so happy to be going back, and that alone would lift anyone's spirits.

Grace is still sleeping, nearing 8:00 a.m. now. She got hit pretty hard this second time around, so maybe if she's passed out for a while it might do the trick. I won't wake her up -- at least not for a while yet. I don't want to ruin her (read: "our") nap-time later on, though -- we're both going to need that mid-afternoon break.

And for myself ... well, I thought I noticed a tiny bit of improvement last night before I went to bed. I was able to read a little bit -- that was my litmus test. Before that point, my eyes felt like they were going to explode, so my books remained closed for those few days. It felt good to read again ... but I think I paid the price. In the middle of the night I woke up with a searing headache, eyes like pin-pulled grenades, aching all over ... not a good sign at all.

This morning was rough, rough, rough ... but now I feel a bit better after my coffee and a shower, although truth be told I'm ready to go back to bed for a few hours. I have a feeling, though, that as soon as I huddle under the covers, Nurse Murphy would have a good laugh, waking Grace up at that very moment. We'll see.

Oh, yes, Nurse Murphy has been alive and well through all of this. I told myself that the one silver lining in all of this would be that, if I had to be this sick, then at least I'd drop a few pounds. I can always take pleasure in that! No one ever wants to eat when they're sick with the flu, so I figured a few days of liquid would bring about a pretty favorable (albeit fleeting) outcome, at least. Aidan didn't eat a thing and is skinnier than ever; Grace only managed a nibble here and there. I might feel absolutely rotten, but I found joy in the prospect of being a few pounds lighter ...

Yeah ...
Can you believe that I've actually been starving these past few days??!!
What's up with that?!
My stomach growls all the time; liquids alone aren't cutting it. I need to eat ... so I've been eating, ravenously.
Oh, My Friend Murphy, that is so not funny ...

So two on the mend, two yet to go.
Looks like Mommy will be the last one to get over this nasty cycle.
With a few more pounds added to boot.

No comments: