Phew -- got one day under my belt, and I must say it was easier than I thought it would be. I was still pretty tired by the time I plopped down in front of American Idol last night, but I think that's primarily due to the fact that I'm still fighting this bug. These battles can wear you out.Today's a little nutty, as I wrote yesterday -- more cleaning and picking up, babysitting in the afternoon, the boys' sleepover tonight ... I've got it all nicely compartmentalized in my brain so no worries. But maybe that's dangerous.
I had a Memory Lane moment yesterday as I checked out the weather forecast for the next few days. It was a bit warm yesterday, just adding more fuel to my springtime fire. Two things made me very happy yesterday:
1. I waited for the afternoon bus without a coat on. Boy, that felt good!
2. When I went into the kitchen to start preparing for dinner at 4:45, it was still light outside! It was a wonderful feeling, being able to cook by natural light rather than the usual combo of incandescent and fluorescent, at least for a little while. Oh, we're on our way now!
I knew it was futile to believe this could last -- it is only February, on the verge of March. And what's the old saying for March? "In like a lion and out like a lamb." How many times that has proven itself to be true ...
My birthday is Tuesday, and I thought the icing on the cake could be a nice, warm, springlike day. Yet when I checked out the forecast, I saw ... snow! I'm sure it won't amount to much, but what a tease this weather has been! I realized that being born in the beginning of March was indeed a tricky thing ...
I recalled birthdays past, so many of them canceled because of snow. The week prior would be sunny, comfortable, but when my day rolled around we'd get a blizzard. I do remember one birthday in particular -- I was quite young, but old enough to be enraptured with the idea of my upcoming celebration, a party perfectly planned for my little girlfriends -- and we were completely blanketed in snow the night before. I can still see my mom's face as she had no choice but to cancel the much-longed-for party; I can still feel my little heart broken, devastated. And that wasn't the only year ...
So when I saw the little snow icon on the forecast -- just in time for my party on Sunday -- I couldn't help but smile. No tears this time, no devastation -- but old enough now to find it kind of funny. You just never know what March will bring -- and in a way, it's a bigger picture of life's journey too. Will I go through a den of lions or a pasture of lambs on my journey? Whether I walk through the snarling den or gentle pasture, I'm learning to trust, becoming more and more steadfast in my steps. I want to grow from that tearful, heart-broken girl to the smiling woman who takes a little snow -- of all kinds -- in stride. Maybe it's not a coincidence that I was born during this volatile month, so full of twists and turns and promise and potential.
Regardless of snow or sunshine, lions or lambs, my family will gather and we'll have a party. You can't beat that.

No comments:
Post a Comment