Thursday, February 12, 2009

Spring Bug Replaced By Another Kind

It's impossible to believe that we made it through more than half of the school year with nary a sniffle in this house. I guess Aidan's first foray into the public sphere of education last year -- accompanied by almost weekly visits to the doctor's office -- succeeded in building up his immunity to illnesses, nail-biting and all. The little boy has proven to be quite a germ-tank so far.

So far.

He's been battling the sniffles, though, for the past few days -- nothing major, no fever, just coughing at night and some congestion during the day. He's barreling on through, though, so no worries.

But little Grace is a different story. At 6:30 a.m. this morning I picked her up out of her bed and instantly felt a searing heat through her many layers of sleepwear. I knew instantly she had a fever. Oh, man ... not good. Tonight we're supposed to go out to a fundraiser/dinner event -- my parents are going to have dinner with the kids, and my brother Steve is coming over after that to put them to bed. I do not -- do not -- want to miss this event. Plus, my in-laws are planning to come for a weekend visit ... do we cancel because of a sick little girl?

Two hours later now -- she perked up. Her tummy is full of her strawberry kefir, and I dosed her with Tylenol. She's no longer warm -- well, maybe a tiny bit -- and she's happy and alert. Phew.

Crisis averted?
I sure hope so.

1 comment:

Jo-Ann said...

We have had a really bad year with illness this year. I could say it is because Matthew is now in Kindergarten, but I have many friends who's kids are so sick too.

I hope you were able to get out tonight and that Grace feels better.