Well, looks like our Potty Miracle of this morning was a one-time thing. At least for now. Not a peep out of her all day about needing to go, wanting to go, or any inkling of going in any way, shape, or dripping form. That's OK -- at least now I know she can do it. Yet this has been a bittersweet revelation -- she can do it ... but all the work falls to me. Consistency, boundaries, routines, timers, treats, etc. -- looks like I've got a mountain of work ahead of me. But she can do it. I'll just wait until everyone's better before we dig in.
(excuses, anyone?)
Meanwhile, Don's getting worse, Grace has remained the same (congested but fine), Aidan is about .05% better, and Jack's tail was up and wagging for about 30 seconds this afternoon. With two pain pills under his canine belt, he's been droopy all day, but at least he's not shaking. Here's praying that we can ward off the vet this time around!
And me ... well, I had a treat today. I did manage a trip to our favorite thrift store and it was certainly an interesting experience. As soon as I walked through the sliding doors I could literally feel my introverted energy immediately being sucked from its storage space from the writhing mass of people in the store. It was unreal. I paused at the threshold, took a deep breath, and plunged in. Interestingly, I found myself humming hymns non-stop as I wound my way through the throngs -- not sure why, but I bet a psychologist would be buzzing with interest should I find myself on his or her couch with that tidbit.
I admit I was disappointed -- the carcasses had been picked clean, leaving only a few bones behind. No cute purses caught my eye; no fun little summertime shoes beckoned me. But I did manage to find a sweet cotton skirt for the summer, sporting a watercolor scene reminiscent of some old Italian seaside village -- boats in the water, skimming the hem of the skirt; colorful villas and antiquated buildings wrapped around the center; beaches and more water around the top -- lime greens and pale sky blues and sandy yellows and muted terra cotta. Not at all what I thought I would ever pick out, but it is super-cute, perfect for a warm summer day, and for $1.50 I wasn't about to pass it up.
I picked up about half a dozen kids' books to add to our library and entertain my sick kids, and I walked out spending only $3 for the skirt and reading materials. Definitely my kind of day!
But I must also say that I am feeling the germs knock-knockin' on my own door. I've been working hard all day -- organizing the attic, doing 4 loads of laundry, a quick trip to the store, a soul-restoring phone call with the dearest of friends -- in order to preoccupy myself and ignore the knocking. But as soon as I settle down, quiet myself, I can feel it. The knocking's persistent, but perhaps I can ignore it. Perhaps it'll go away.
Perhaps ...
Monday, February 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
hope everyone gets better, I know how that can be....
I hope it stays away from you, it is never easy when mommy gets sick.
Post a Comment