Thursday, February 5, 2009

Sweet Soul

Several months ago the kids learned a new song in church: "Love the Lord Your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, with all your strength" -- complete with accompanying motions. Grace, never to be left out on what her big brother is doing (or learning), caught on quickly, and now she sings the song almost on a daily basis. Very cute.

This afternoon I collapsed on the couch for a few minutes' snooze while Aidan played his daily computer game after school and Grace looked on. I was just exhausted. Lying in a prone position, however, invites the attention of young children, and sure enough -- within minutes Grace came rushing to my side.

She's the sweetest child I've ever known -- seriously. She planted a gentle kiss on my cheek; she stroked my forehead. Then she stood up and put her hands on her hips.

"OK ... now, Mommy," she declared. "I have to sing my song now." I opened one eye and vainly tried to focus on the blurry pig-tailed creature in front of me. OK, I murmured.

She then proceeded with her song, waving her arms to the motions:

Love the Lord your God
With all your heart (hand on heart)
With all your soul (hand on tummy)
With all your mind (fingers on temples)
With all your strength (that's an easy one).

She paused in her singing.

"OK ... Mommy, just so you know ... your SOUL is really your TUMMY. It's right here," she said, rubbing her little round belly. "Now let's sing this again ..."

I guess the Holy Spirit makes itself loud and clear when I'm hungry. Boy, this girl is really something.

No comments: