Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Graduation Day!

Good news -- Grace was officially discharged from her physical therapy today! We had our last visit this morning, partly because we can't afford to pay for any more visits, and also because the deadline on our insurance coverage ends this week, so it all worked out very well. A couple of weeks had elapsed since our last visit, so I was eager to use this visit as a final assessment, to see how she fared in the interim. That would be a good indicator of how things might be from here on out, without the therapy. Part of me dreaded hearing the therapist say that she regressed a little bit in those few weeks -- if that was the case, it wouldn't bode well for a surgery-free future. I also knew, in my Mommy-Gut, that she still isn't 100%, so I was curious of the outcome this morning, where Grace would fall on this spectrum.

We saw Miss Jen, did our usual exercises and stretches, got another massive dose of Kinesio tape ... and then came the verdict: while Grace hasn't improved, in the strict sense of the word, she hasn't really gone backwards either. Hey, I'll take it!! She did lose a little bit of muscle strength and retention, because Jen noticed that her MA -- the curvature of her forefoot -- has gotten a bit more pronounced. But other than that, Jen was really pleased that Grace was able to maintain what she had gained through therapy, and didn't lose it over these few weeks. PHEW!!

We still have to do our exercises at home, and I have to somehow figure out a way to order a few rolls of Kinesio tape to do it ourselves, but the prognosis is good! Thanks for your support and prayers for us during this part of the clubfoot journey -- we're still walking; we'll still be dealing with this for another 15 years or so ... but right now all is well.

Really well.

4 comments:

Chikki said...

Thank goodness no relapse!

We attribute Om's healthy feet to his physical therapy. The doctor never recommended it, but as luck/the universe/god would have it we ended up putting him in it.

Now with him in the brace only at sleep time it's harder to do the excersises! We tend to neglect/forget to do the stretching. :(

Sue said...

Tell me about it! That's why a big part of me was so "scared" to let the therapists go b/c they were my security blanket. It's so easy to have other things in life take the place of stretches, etc. "Just one more load of laundry and then I'll do the exercises ..." Now it's ALL on me! As if I don't have enough "Mommy Guilt" as it is ... :)

I'm so glad Om is doing well and getting therapy. I do believe -- from what I've heard -- that more and more Ponseti docs are also going the route of therapy, after hearing so many good things. It's more than just a twisted foot, you know? It's muscle weakness, tendon issues, you name -- things that can be taken care of with therapy. I wonder if that will some day be added officially to the Ponseti Protocol. I know with 100% certainty that we would NOT be in this good place without it!

Hang in there ... glad to hear Om's doing great!

Jo-Ann said...

Oh yay!! Nothing lifts my heart more then a positive from Matthew's p/t.

I just read a quote that spoke to me

think big thoughts but relish small pleasures.

So true.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I am trying to find photos and information on kinesio taping for clubfeet. Not having a lot of luck. I am wondering where the tape goes, etc.
My son is 9 months old with bilateral clubfeet. He is currently in the dobbs bar with AFOs.